
I watched a movie yesterday that was really interesting. Now, I’m going to start off by saying I like weird movies, I like oddball humor, and I like having to work during movies. If I don’t think at all, or ponder anything during a movie…it’s pointless. (With the exception of silly comedies like Anchorman and such) I really like to feel as though I've learned the characters, and felt what they're dealing with. So, with all that said, I just watched Lars and the Real Girl. It may be in my top 10! From the back of the DVD case, it will sound like a movie about a guy who falls in love with a sex doll, but it is SO much more! You have to walk into the movie knowing that it’s different, a little awkward at parts, but rewarding in the end. There's a really heavy question that the movie poses, 'How would you handle someone with a mental illness?' Don't get me wrong, there are most likely going to be times during the movie when you wonder why you rented it, or ever listened to Leah Dorr, but just stick with it. If you’ve already seen it and hated it, well then maybe this is where our friendship ends :)
1 comment:
I loved it, too, but I also think it's about connection- not just about mental illness, but about dealing with people who are more broken than you...The community that reaches out and loves this man is so amazing...and I think that everyone latches on to this doll for reasons of their own- it kind of dissipates his "illness". Remember Mrs. Gruner giving him the speech about "No self-respecting woman will wait at your beck and call..."?
It makes the issue bigger, I think. But yes, it's a great film!
Post a Comment