Monday, November 28, 2011

Battle of the Christmas Lights

For the most part, John and I have very similar taste in decor...except for the outside of our house at Christmas time. We do it pretty simple- window candles and a large decorated wreath on the front door (we've done this at both our Newport News house, and current house). But I have always wanted to string lights on the roof line, and front steps. We don't have an outside outlet (at either house, actually), which is totally lame, so that has presented a bit of a problem. I've suggested just running a long (very long) extension cord from the garage to the lights, but it's never happened. I decided to let the topic rest, and just buy something simple to decorate the front steps with- small trees that I can either put lights on or leave be. Fake trees (most already have outdoor lights strung on them) are very expensive, and so I decided to go with two real, very small fern trees. They are a little floppy looking, and not exactly what I had in mind- but they'd spruce up the front steps.

Back to the lights...

Our next door neighbors (on both sides), have lights up and this year one of them convinced John he should do it. I guess all it took was one guy friend to convince John, man...I wish I had thought of that 6 years ago!! One neighbor has simple icicle lights on just the roof line, and the other neighbor has bright colored, tacky (her words, not mine!!) lights on the roof line, windows, and garage door. I guess John feels empowered to do lights...so I'm excited to see how it turns out! John does everything with 100,000% intensity, so it should come out really nice!

Our house may turn out looking like this one... :)

No comments: