At Bible study last night I shared something I'm currently going through. I jokingly called it the appetizer to my prayer request because I was just planning on bringing the topic up later when prayer requests were shared. The last question to answer was this:
' I would like for us to spend the remaining time
we have thinking about areas in our lives where we might have unbelief. Areas that maybe God has proclaimed victory
yet because of unbelief you and I are not walking in that victory. Or maybe areas in which God has ask us to
have courage and hope yet we are suffocated by unbelief and have not moved
forward. Please use the space below to
ask God if there are areas of unbelief and what he wants you to do about it.'
For me, it was a very easy question to answer. I knew exactly where I had unbelief in my life. My answer:
' 'What is my identity exclusively in you, God? Apart from my identity as a wife, mother, friend, teacher, daughter, and sister...who am I? And if all the people and things I care about are stripped away from me, will you be enough?'
Our Bible study leader told me that my homework was to look up verses that speaks to my identity in Christ, and instead of focusing on the hurt and disappointment I feel about something right now, rather to focus and claim my identity in the God who created me. So- that is what I'm going to do! I looked some up this morning, and found a ton!
Ephesians 2;10 For me are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good work, which God prepared in advance fr us to do.
Galatians 4: 6-7 Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts the Spirit who calls out, "Abba, Father." So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir.
Colossians 3:12 Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.
1 Thessalonians 5:5 You are all sons of the light and sons of the day. We do not belong to the night or to the darkness.
I'm thankful that I am loved, chosen, and cherished by God. My identity in Him is powerful and I need to start living it out that way, instead of being saddened by the people/circumstances in my life who disappoint me. I will be just fine without my identity being wrapped up in being a wife, mother, etc. It will be hard, so hard. But being satisfied in the identify I have in Him will be so sweet, and so worth the pain.
What's an area of your life where you may have unbelief?
2 comments:
Identity in Christ isn't easy. I constantly battle my view of myself vs. Jesus view of me. Great post today.
Leah, I have struggled with this for years. I hope that you know that you are not the only one! You are a wonderful woman, wife and mom and more importantly follower of Christ. Stand firm knowing that if you are walking with God, you listen to wisdom from those around you that know you, you can stand firm in your decisions! Hope to see you around the neighborhood this summer!
Post a Comment