Dedication...Thankfulness...and Celebration was what we wanted Sunday to be all about!
One of the big reasons we made the trip to NY was because we wanted to have Avery dedicated with family surrounding us. Since family does not live near us, there are a lot of things they will miss out on: birthdays, recitals, school awards assemblies, and other things. But Avery being dedicated is something they didn't have to miss, because we purposely waited to do it until a time both families could be there. And it was so special!
The man who dedicated Avery is my families long time friend, and basically my second dad growing up. My parents have been best friends with Al and Lorraine for about 25 years, and we grew up with their three children. When I asked Al to do the dedication, he was honored, and I was so glad it was him who'd be doing it! I asked him to base it around the scripture verse that is on the wall above her crib...'I prayed for this child, and the Lord has answered by prayer.' ~ 1 Samuel 1:27. He also read a few other verses, and asked the witnesses at the dedication to hold John and I accountable for raising Avery in a Christian household, teaching her the gospel, and being an example of God's love to her as she grown up. John and I also asked both our fathers to read a verse that they thought would be applicable to raising a child, or being thankful for a child. It was so touching- and I couldn't hold it together...I cried!
We had both families there, and close friends...about 20-25 people came and it was just right! We did miss having our VA friends there, but I am so glad we did it with both families present!
Avery was a trooper, and and did great! I was a little worried that the dedication would interfere with nap time, but she handled it really well without much fussing!
No comments:
Post a Comment