A view of the 5th grade pod.
Another view of the 5th grade pod.
One more view of the 5th grade pod.------------------------------------------------------------------------
A view of two classrooms within the 1st grade pod.
Another view of two classrooms in the 1st grade pod.
Another view of the 1st grade pod.

Another view of two classrooms in the 1st grade pod.
Another view of the 1st grade pod.
Welcome to my new school- Dutrow Elementary! I started here as the Reading Interventionist about two weeks ago, and I love it here! The people are really friendly, the students are well behaved, and I feel like I've adjusted well to my new position.
Dutrow is a very different school than most, and it's been hard for me to explain the physical layout of the school in words, which is why I decided to take pictures. The classrooms do not have walls dividing them up. Each grade level has their own 'pod' and then there are 3-4 classes within each pod. Most teachers usually divide the pods up with either a bookcase, or a cubby. This was a foreign concept to me, since both schools I have previously taught at had walls dividing classrooms and doors to close. But I must say- it's not as weird as I thought it was going to be...it totally works! There is no chaos, and no madness...instead, there is learning, productivity, and creativity! I'm sure this set up is not for all teachers, and all students- but for the students and teachers who are at Dutrow, they make it work and make it look easy!
This set up allows for a lot of things, and does not allow for others. Here is what I mean: each pod has a very inviting, community type feeling to it. It allows for different grade levels to work together seamlessly. It does not allow for teachers to yell at students, or for teachers to speak harshly to a student because other teachers, grade levels and students are all sharing the same space. It does not allow for students doing incomplete work/time out in the hallway.
It is a very unique set up, and I'm glad to have the experience of working here. I'm looking forward to the rest of the school year to unfold :)
1 comment:
It's such an interesting concept.. I only subbed there once for a Kindergarten class, but I can definitely see how it would be very different in a good way for the students! I especially liked that you were constantly surrounded by your colleagues, instead of feeling isolated throughout the day. I'm glad you're liking it there!
Post a Comment