I've been hesitant to write a blog about it, but decided to go ahead with it. Two Shen (the school system I went to) students were killed in a car crash Saturday night by a drunk driver. Another Shen student badly injured, as well as a Shaker student. They had a candlelight vigil tonight, which they streamed live and I was able to watch all the way in VA. It was pretty cool, and very touching.
I watched students embracing each other, parents and coaches crying in each others arms, and thought to myself, 'Are they embracing because they knew the victims, or because they're thankful they're friends or children weren't in the crash?' Are they crying because they sat next to those students in class and will no longer see them every day? Are they crying because they know it could have just as easily been them, or their friend in a crash?
I say goodbye to my friends all the time, and rarely ever think about if it is my last time seeing that friend. I drive from point A to point B, and rarely wonder if there are drunk, irresponsible drivers on the road with me. I keep in touch with old friends on Facebook, but rarely think about their day-to-day life and how they're doing.
It's my prayer that this tragedy would change something in me, and others. I want to value friendships and relationships more, and not take them for granted. I want to hug my friends and family a little tighter, and savor sweet (and the not so sweet...) moments with Avery.
No comments:
Post a Comment