Thursday, September 9, 2010

The waiting begins...

There's only a few weeks left until Avery is due to arrive- about 5 1/2 weeks to be exact! People ask me a lot, 'Has it gone by fast?' and I think my answer changes depending on the day. I can definitely pinpoint certain times during my pregnancy that it's gone by fast, and others when it's dragged on. I kind of think I'm in the dragging stage.

It feels really strange to not be back at work, when all of my teacher friends are, and so I think that contributes to days moving slowly. Also, I've reached the point where I'm getting uncomfortable: my hips, my back, and just my body overall is about done with carrying all this extra weight around.

But as soon as I say, or type that- I remind myself to be thankful because there were months, years, when I would have given anything to feel back pain due to pregnancy- haha! I'm also very blessed to not be working right now full-time as a classroom teacher! It's one thing to be pregnant, and work through the whole pregnancy, but I think it's a whole different story to be pregnant and working, have the summer off, and then go back to work almost 9 months pregnant. I really can't imagine setting up a classroom, and getting everything ready for the first day/week of school with the little sleep I get, and how uncomfortable I am.

So....the waiting begins! Because I've read so many stories, and have heard so many people talk about preterm labor, and I mean super preterm...like delivering at 25 weeks or something...it's kind of been something I've been worried about, and preparing myself for. I'll be 35 weeks this weekend, and the doctors say babies born anytime after 34 weeks don't suffer serious medical conditions, and their stay at the hospital won't be long. They are typically healthy babies who develop, and grow the same as babies who are born full-term! Yay- that's great news!

September is childbirth class month for John and I! We have a childbirth class every Wednesday night during the month of September, two Mondays we have a newborn care class, and on one Monday, we have a tour of the hospital (specifically the labor and delivery floor). John's not so crazy about the birthing class we're taking, but I don't know if any guys actually enjoys the classes. A lot of the information we already know, but my point of view is that even if we only learn 1 thing during the class- it's worth it to me! I mean, I would never want to enter into something as serious as childbirth without knowing everything I could, and knowing I've educated myself.

So...the waiting begins! Please pray for John and I; that we even now will prepare our hearts, minds, and home for Avery! I know it'll be a huge change in our lives, and it will definitely have an impact on our marriage, friendships, and everyday life.

No comments: