Saturday, September 11, 2010

Water Camping

Two years ago we went camping on 4th of July weekend with some friends on an 'island' in Seaford, which is only about 10-15 minutes away, but feels much further because it's so remote! It was a lot of fun, but there were some rough points: it was really hot (over 100 degrees) with NO shade at all, no bathrooms, and we had to swim to get to shore because the boat would get stuck if we went any further.

We haven't gone camping there since that summer, much to my happiness...until tonight. John planned a last-minute night out camping with some friends a few days ago, and decided to go back to that little island in Seaford. I decided I'd go for a few hours, and hang out, but not spend the night. John kept telling everyone it wasn't that bad, and that we'd just barely wade to the shore. Ummmm- ok, John! I knew better...

People most definitely had to more than wade. I'm so lucky I got to pull the 'pregnancy card' on this one, and was able to be brought via air mattress to the shore! I stayed for about three hours, and most everyone else stayed overnight.

I'm not always the best sport when it comes to living outside what is comfortable to me...and this was no different! (I'm thinking being almost 9 months pregnant played a pretty big part in this.) I didn't sleep at all last night from a horrible backache, woke up early to get ready to host a baby shower, was on my feet all day, and camping in the sand on the beach just wasn't something I was looking forward to. Although I felt that way, I also reminded myself that these impromptu trips with friends will be few, and far between when we have a baby. I am also so outgoing that the thought of missing out on a social event with friends nearly kills me! I'm glad I went for a short time- and I'm also glad I left when I did!

Here are just a few pictures from the night.

John multi-tasking. Sharpening his stick, while eating his hotdog.
Betsy, Rae, and Katey
Me being brought to the shore via air mattress. Thanks John, Stew, and Jon!

This is what we pulled up to on the boat. 'Come on Leah, it's not that bad...'


Sooooo tired after a long day!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

way to go girl!!! what a trooper! so glad you had a great time after a fun though tiring day. sounds like it was all worth it, and more. these are the days to remember(great title for a song).

love ya...........mom