Wednesday, May 25, 2011

SAY HEY to Amanda Wilkinson

(Claire and Kai, me and Avery, and Amanda and Cole)


I've known Amanda for about a year and a half, but we didn't really get to know each other until last summer. I am so thankful God crossed our paths!

It was the last days of school, and Amanda was talking with another teacher about how she just found out she was pregnant. I kind of felt awkward being in the same room, but she wasn't whispering or trying to make it a hush-hush thing. She didn't want to share it with many people yet, because she was still very early on in her pregnancy, but shared it with me because she had some questions/concerns; and since I had experienced miscarriages, she felt I'd be a good person to ask.

Over the summer she called here and there to ask questions, came to check out Avery's nursery, and borrowed maternity clothes. School started up in September, but since I was 9 months pregnant with Avery I didn't start the school year off. We kept in touch every few weeks by updating each other on how our pregnancies were going, how she was adjusting to a new grade level, and how I was getting ready for Avery's arrival.

Cole was due at the end of January, and a few times before he was born, Amanda and I would hang out and talk about the anticipation of his arrival, work on getting the nursery set up, and she'd always have more questions for me. I loved getting to know her, and reliving the excitement of a baby's arrival! I really enjoyed our times together, and was excited to become closer friends with someone who was about to be in the same stage of life that I was.

I was so excited when Cole arrived on his due date (crazy, huh?!), and visited Amanda, Mark, and Cole in the hospital. John and I brought them a meal after they got home from the hospital, and enjoyed holding a newborn baby. Now that Cole was here, there was an even stronger bond between us...new moms!

She took a six week maternity leave, and we hung out each week she was off! We called Tuesdays our 'Mommy Dates', and would either go out to lunch, go to each others houses, or go walk around the mall. We got to know each other even better during those weeks. I was even able to introduce her to some of my close girlfriends who were also new moms, and they really hit it off! We were able to bond about the excitement a new baby bring, the frustration a new baby brings, doing the baby thing with no family around, how to juggle a new baby and relationships/friendships, and everything in between.

It seems like almost every weekend we hang out- whether it's for a whole day with the kids, or just a coffee meet up. She and her family came to church with us for Easter, and she also came a few weeks ago as well. She has become a huge part of my life, and it's so weird to think that it's only been the last few months that her and I even became friends! I feel like I've known her and Cole forever!

She is so fun, and always has a positive spirit about her! I'm sure everyone that meets and knows Amanda would say she lights up a room! There are so many things I love about Amanda! She's funny, hard working, motivated, compassionate, and easy to talk to. She is a loving wife, caring mother, and dedicated teacher! I feel so blessed to call her friend, and I am so glad that God crossed our paths!

1 comment:

Nate & Danielle said...

Definitely LOVE that Amanda Wilkinson :)