*I took this picture in 2005. I was already living in VA, but came home to NY for my college graduation a few wks before Christmas. My dad and I always had a tradition from middle school on to get a Christmas tree together, and 2005 was the last year we were able to do it together.*
I know you think you're dad is the best, but you must be corrected by me...I have the best dad...not you! My entire childhood I grew up with a father who met all of my needs, and showed me (and my siblings) love, support, generosity, humor, financial responsibility, and interest.
Love- My dad knew how to love me the way I needed to be loved by him. He knew when to show be love, and when to show me discipline. But even through discipline- he'd reassure me that he loved me.
Support- This is sometimes hard for dads to do because a level of selflessness is needed. Even though it's hard for my dad to support the decisions, and life choices us three kids have made from time to time, he has still supported us. It was really hard for him to let Rebecca live in India for two years as a missionary because of obvious reasons, but he supported her anyway. It was hard for him to allow John and I get married and move away with a semester left of college because he didn't know if I'd give up on school and teaching, but he supported me anyway.
Generosity- My dad is faithful to tithing each month, donating money to charity, and giving financially to mission trips our church goes on. He loves to 'treat' others when they're on a lunch or dinner date. Growing up, and even now as an adult, my dad gives me 'ice cream money' which is just money to spend on whatever- not sure why we call it 'ice cream money', but I like it!
Humor- My dad is hilarious! It's really easy to laugh around him. Now some people may say he has cheesy humor, others may say it's sarcastic humor...I think it's just right. He makes fun of me a lot, and if other people said the things he says I'd probably get offended, but when he says it- it's funny!
Financial Responsibility- He is extremely financially savvy, and he never abused money by spending it on toys or insignificant things. Even though he was in and out of jobs for some of our childhood, he always made sure he was putting money into savings, and tithe. He invested money for each of us kids when we were young, and however the money 'grew', that was our college graduation present from him- pretty sweet, huh?!
Interest- My dad pursued each of us kids. We all had different hobbies and strengths, but my dad made sure to take interest in what we liked. I'm sure it was easy to show interest in sports when Jonathan was growing up, but musical theatre, and violin is a little harder to enjoy. My dad went to each of my sister and my piano/violin recitals, musical theatre productions, and music concerts.
Thank you Dad for being a father who shows me the love of my Heavenly Father as well. I love you more every year!
No comments:
Post a Comment