Friday, August 15, 2008

Nazi Museum



John and I went on Trip Advisor to see what things we could do while staying in Nurnberg the last few days of our trip. The # 1 rated tour was the Nazi Party Rally Grounds. We went this morning, and it was intense! Thankfully, they had an audio guide, so we didn't have to worry about interpreting the German language (as we've done our whole trip). There were many different levels to the museum, and each level had panels with photos and information. The audio guide would walk you through each panel, and the information given. The info given was a little bit about Hitler himself, but mostly about the Nazis, and how they came into power. It was very interesting, but a lot to take in! We toured the museum for a little over three hours, listening to endless amounts of information. Towards the end, I felt as though I had sat in a three hour college lecture. Not because it was boring, but because there was a lot of information to take in! There were short films on each floor of the museum as well that showed footage from the Nazi regime. The films were quite full of emotion, and John and I both walked out of the museum drained! We talked to some people at the hotel here who said they have gone to the museum a few times, because once just isn't enough to retain all you learn/read about. If you are ever in Nurnberg, Germany...take a day to visit the Reichsparteigelande Museum.


No comments: